Thursday, May 16, 2013

Welcome

This will now be my quilting/fabric blog.

What makes more sense than to name it after the all-purpose childhood nickname (that  all girls named Susan get)...but SusieQ was taken. And many variations thereof.

So the name to bookmark is: allsuziQ.blogspot.ca

I started quilting in 2009, I think.
Photos of some of my earliest stuff can be found here.
You'll see some of the baby quilts I made for the Ottawa Valley Quilter's Guild when I was a member there for a few years and a quilt that was exhibited in their last  show in 2011. I dropped out for a number of reasons and wasn't sewing too much.
And yet, I am pleased to say that I was able to inspire at least one very good and natural quilter - my daughter. :)
Her blog And Sew Forth is [ here ]
The arrival of her first child has put her quilting on hold for awhile, after she made a batch of quilts and blankets for the little one.

The good news is that I am re-inspired on the quilting front after going to the
 OVQG's Festival of Quilts on Mother's Day weekend. My logo above shows a fdew of my most recent mug rugs, soon to be available at [ my etsy store ]
This time, it was nice to go merely as an interested observer...and shopper!

The bad news which I knew before the weekend is that my favourite closest local quilt shop Dragonfly Fabrics is closing at the end of May. Owner Linda Doyle feels it's time to move on and so she is.
It was Dragonfly that made a quilter out of me. I didn't even know what a fat quarter was when I first walked in to the bright, clean, open space filled with wonderful colours and patterns. I took a number of classes there too. It's where I learned free motion quilting, and lived to tell the tale. Made tumbling blocks, did elementary paper piecing (pass), more advanced paper piecing (fail), tried to do a photo-realistic poppy - made 1/4 of it, was done.

Meanwhile, back the quilt show it was great seeing a bunch of  people that I know now from my first rush in to quilting. That including Sue Shute from the Quilting Quarters in Almonte. She  and the store are the only Canadian store currently featured in the Better Homes Shop Hop issue. Richly deserved.

Photos from the OVQG quilt show to come.










No comments:

Post a Comment