Friday, May 17, 2013

OVQG Festival of Quillts May 2013

First Set of treasures from my photos of the Ottawa Valley Quilter's Guild Festival of Quilts held on Mother's Day weekend in Ottawa. Strangely enough, they all feature amazing applique work which I don't do at all.
(Edited: June 9 to add another name)
(Edited May 20 to add 2 new larger views)

Like this traditional but fresh Double Wedding Ring. It was a huge bed quilt. (If there are no names attached to some of the following pictures it's because I didn't write them down and the OVQG website has not yet put pictures up. When they do, everyone will be attributed here.)





I loved this beautiful applique wall hanging. The red-orange batik is so vivid and so perfect with the cream.This was all hand-pieced and hand quilted by Lynda Smyth. It won 4 ribbons.  It was fresh and modern without being minimalist.Not sure if I got a full photo or just detail shots like these...open border! The name of the quilt is Sunset Rose.



I found a larger view ; still not the whole quilt but so gorgeous.




This huge star quilt was composed with Kaffe Fassett fabrics on a background with tiny blue dots. I believe this is the winning large bed quilt - Garden Flowers by Brenda Davidson Payer.



Close-up of the applique block on the lower left.



And this was among my favourites. It's just fun, friendly and fresh. I t's by Evelyne Power and won a Viewer's Choice ribbon. The pattern is called Love Birds, designed by Don't Look Now.


A close-up of the right hand center panel gives a better idea of  the intricacy of the machine quilting by Jan Kittle and the joy in the applique piecing. 




You can visit the  OVQG website  for a full list of winners.
:)

all photos (c) 2013 Susan Beyer. 






No comments:

Post a Comment