Sunday, June 9, 2013

Fearless Hexies and first time Machine Applique

Hexagons, everywhere these days - including here now.
Way back when I first tried quilting - many many years ago - I tried to make a hexagon piece but bombed spectacularly.  It's haunted me since! (Not really, but sort of.) This time, I used 2 secret weapons.

After finding a template on line, I printed it then traced out a variety of hexagons, about 10, with no plan in mind. 

I then fearlessly (and somewhat  messily, I admit) used my first secret weapon spraying them with Easy-On Speed Starch which I got at Home Hardware for $4.29. A similar product in the big chain fabric store here cost $8.98 so yay me. 

I actually over-saturated the cut outs and they sat in a bubbly pool of white water on the back of one of my purple cutting mats. I finally put the dripping hexies on top of paper towels to dry, a bit.
After that I fearlessly eye-balled a 1/4 inch seam and began turning the edges down, finger pressing as I went along. Let me tell you - finger pressing sopping fabric is no picnic but I am impatient! I wanted some guideline before I used the (auxiliary) iron. Not using the Good Iron on these soppy, starched pieces.
As I ironed them the fabric began to dry. The seam took best for me when the fabric was about 50/50 wet/dry. The instructions say "damp or dry"

I cleaned up the mat using a paper towel - easy. 

I decided to arrange a few hexies to make the top of a new pot holder/mug rug. And go Bold with the colour. This was my first venture into machine applique, again just eye-balling things not measuring.
I offset one hexagon for more design interest. And used my second secret weapon: to position the hexies without using pins for top stitching -

I dabbed this in the middle of each hexagon then sewed each one down. The Lapel Stick was bought at a quilt show but is probably available in stores or on line. I'll definitely be using it more in the future.

The finished applique.

I had the red thread in for the hexies and due to impatience - or laziness - I kept going with it onto the turquoise chevron background which had some natural design lines to follow.

Here's the finished mug rug. The actual colours are truest in the previous picture, the close up above this one.

I now feel fully cured of my hexagon haunting!


No comments:

Post a Comment